NVHA Family Conference 2017 a success!
The Nisga'a Valley Health Authority hosted its first ever Family Conference in Gitwinksihlkw, BC from April 5-7, 2017. "Wila yeehl Gandidils Hlgutk'ihlkw"
The 3 day conference included welcome address from Gitwinksihlkw Chief Councillor Charles Morven, opening remarks by NVHA CEO Julia Adams and keynote speaker Sim'oogit Hleek - Dr. Joseph Gosnell.
Other discussion topics included:
- Role of Wilkilaks by Verna Williams/ Rosie Robinson
- From Spirit World to Birth by Emma Nyce/ Irene Robinson
- From Child to Adult Y'askw by Hester McKay/ Chester Moore
- The Importance of Algax by Dr. Joseph Gosnell/ Alice Azak
- Pre-Post Natal
- Addictions - Nisga'a Crisis Response
- Strengthening Families Together - Mental Health by Noreen Spence
- Violence against women in relationship by Millie Percival / Faith Tait (NLG Access to Justice Dept)
- Youth Sexual Safety (Child Exploitation) by Millie Percival / Faith Tait (NLG Access to Justice Dept)
- Suicide Prevention
- Sexual Abuse
The music students of Gitwinksihlkw Elementary School performed instrument music on Day 2 as lunch entertainment.
The NVHA Family Conference was to share information to promote and enhance personal and family wellness through Nisga'a traditional cultural practices. This was also a great event for organizations to come together to discuss and share health and wellness concerns that impact the nation.
Please click this link to view the photos from all 3 days http://nisgaanation.zenfolio.com/f328423674. A final video production will follow and be published for public viewing in the weeks to come.
The Nisga'a Nation commends Nisga'a Valley Health Authority for a job well done, Si'aamhl Wilin!